Benton County is named for Thomas Hart Benton, who was a United States Senator from Missouri.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Grant County
Created: March 8, 1905
Prosser 1905 – present
County Courthouse – Prosser
Location: 620 Market Street / Main Street
Built: 1926 – 1927
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Link & Rasquil of Spokane
Contractor: Ernst White & Company of Twin Falls, Idaho
Description: The building faces north and is a three story brown colored brick, terra cotta and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Prosser. The north front has a large portico with two columns rising to the top of the second story, with a pediment above. A wide horizontal white colored band runs below the first story windows and above the second story windows. A cornice runs below the roof line. The roof line is flat. An addition was added in 1957 on the south side of the building. A three story addition was constructed on the south side in 1987. The architect was Ohashi-Augier Architects of Richland and the contractor was Lydig Construction Inc.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Benton County Courthouse
History: The first courthouse in 1905 was the Riverside Hotel built in 1887. The second courthouse was built in 1905. The cost of construction of the third and present courthouse in 1926 to 1927 was $87,000. The bid of Ernst White & Company of Twin Falls, Idaho was $75,321. George Rasque of Wisconsin headed the construction project.
County Justice Center – Kennewick
Location: 7121 West Okanagan Place / West Quinault Avenue
Built: 2001 – 2003
Architect: Ohashi-Augier Architects and Planners of Richland and Hummel Architects of Boise, Idaho
Contractor: Garco Construction Inc. of Spokane
Description: The building faces east and is a two story cream colored concrete and glass structure. The building is located on spacious grounds on the northwest side of the Justice Center Complex in Kennewick. The east front has a high concrete wall with recessed entrance on the east side. The windows are horizontal and recessed. The roof line is flat. The building houses the District Court for Benton County and Franklin County.
Note: The Justice Center has three buildings with the Court Building A ( 2001 ) on the northwest, Sheriff’s Office Building B ( 1984 ) on the northeast and the Jail ( 1984 ) along the south. Construction and renovation costs in 2001 were $29,730,000.
County Juvenile Justice Center – Kennewick
Location: 5606 West Canal Drive / North Grant Street
Built: 1978 – 1979
Architect: Carson & Kesterson
Contractor: Gilbert H Moen
Description: The building faces south and is a one story buff colored concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and is “U” shaped. The recessed entrance is located at the southeast corner. The windows are horizontal and the roof line is flat. The building is named for James J Lawlass and serves Benton County and Franklin County.
County Courthouse – Prosser
First County Courthouse 1905
Photos taken 2009 and 2016