Grant County is named for Ulysses Grant, who led the Union forces to victory in the Civil War. He was elected President of the United States.
Created: February 24, 1909
Ephrata 1909 – present
County Courthouse – Ephrata
Location: 35 C Street SW / 10th Avenue SW
Built: 1917 – 1918
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: George H Keith
Contractor: J J Lohrenz
Description: The building faces east and is a two story rectangular red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Ephrata. The building has a terra-cotta exterior and has a large portico supported by four large white columns with a pediment above at the roof line. A wide cornice runs below the roof line. The base of the building is stone. An annex was added in 1957 along the west side. The architect was Donald Ross Hollingberry.
Note: The first courthouse was a two story frame structure built by J C Cunningham in 1909.
Photos taken 2006 and 2012