Hopewell is named for “The Hopewell”, a ship that carried some of the early English settlers to Virginia.
Independent City Created: 1916
Courthouse – Hopewell
Location: 100 East Broadway Avenue / Main Street
Built: 1993 – 1994
Architect: The Moseley McClintock Group
Contractor: John W Daniel & Company, Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The north front of the building has a central projecting tiered section with canopied entrance on the first story and vertical windows above. The windows are vertical with brick dividers between. A projecting cornice runs below the flat roof line. The base of the building is poured concrete.
Old Courthouse – Hopewell
Location: 300 North Main Street / Broadway Avenue
Built: 1924 – 1925
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Fred A Bishop of Petersburg
Contractor: Miller Engineering Company of Norfolk.
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is the Hopewell Municipal Building. The east front has a large recessed porch with two columns.
Photos taken 2013