Strafford County is named for William Wentworth, 2nd Earl of Strafford in the mistaken belief that he was the ancestor of governor John Wentworth.
Created: March 10, 1771
Dover 1771 – present
County Courthouse – Dover
Location: 799 County Farm Road / Country Farm Cross Road
Built: 1971 – 1972
Architect: Irving W Hersey Associates
Contractor: Cason Construction Company Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick, concrete and glass rectangular structure. The building is located on spacious grounds to the northwest of Dover. The building has a central section with glass walls divided by narrow vertical dividers with a wide concrete header at the top. A wide band runs below the flat roof line.
Old County Courthouse – Dover
Location: 10 Second Street / Central Avenue
Built: 1889 – 1890
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: George G Adams
Contractor: Philander Faili.
Description: The building faces north and is a two story dark red colored brick and stone structure..The building is located on landscaped grounds in the city center. The central entrance on the first story has a large canopy. A large red colored brick chimney rises at the center of the front with a gable at the roof line. The windows are arched with stone trim. On the west side, the building rises to a high peak. The roof is hipped. The west side has a one story rectangular addition. The building is now a privately owned building.
District Courthouse – Dover
Location: 25 St. Thomas Street / Walnut Street
Built: 2000 – 2002
Architect: Samyn-D’Elia Architects of Ashland
Contractor: Brookstone Builders, Inc. of Manchester
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the city center. The center section on the south side projects from the main building and has a long porch on the first story with four columns. The center section rises to a peak at the roof line. The roof is hipped.
N – Carroll County
E – York County, Maine
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2006 and 2014