Surry County is named for Surrey County in Great Britain.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
S – Sussex County
Wareneck 1652 – 1728
Shingleton Plantation 1728 – 1754
Troopers 1754 – 1797
Surry 1797 – present
County Courthouse – Surry
Location: 28 Colonial Trail East / Rolfe Highway
Built: 1923 – 1924
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: G A Berryman
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds.in the center of Surry. The north front has a large porch with six white colored columns rising to a wide header with entablature at the roof line. The windows are arched. A projecting cornice runs below the roof line cornice. In the interior, the main courtroom is located on the second story and has the original judge’s bench which is contained in a recessed arch. The building houses the County Circuit of the 6th Judicial Circuit. The building was renovated in 2009. The architect was Moseley Architects and the contractor was W M Schlosser Company, Inc.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Surry County Courthouse
County Government Center – Surry
Location: 45 School Street / Rolfe Highway
Description: The building faces south and is a one story concrete and steel structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds to the south of the courthouse. The roof extends out from the building and is supported by concrete pillars. In the center is an open courtyard. The roof line is flat. The building houses the County General District Court and County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court of the 6th Judicial Circuit. The building is named as the Surry County Government Center.
History: The county was created in 1652 and Surry was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse built at Wareneck or Southwarke close to Underwood’s mill. The second courthouse was a wood structure built by Francis Clements and finished by Nathaniel Harrison in 1707 to 1710 for 20,000 pounds of tobacco. In 1728, the courthouse was moved to the land of Howell Edmond near Shingleton Plantation south of the Blackwater River, which is now in Sussex County. In 1754, the courthouse was moved to the land of William Clinch at Troopers. The courthouse burned in 1765 and the third courthouse was a brick structure built in the same year. The courthouse burned in 1787. The court met in several premises until the fourth courthouse, a one story brick structure was built by Robert Macintosh at Macintosh’s Crossroad in Surry in 1797 which became the county seat. The brick Clerk’s Office was built by John P Hopkins in 1825 to 1826 and is still standing. During the Civil War from 1864 to 1865, court was held at the Parish House and Moore’s Swamp Meeting House. On September 25, 1865, the court moved back to the courthouse. The courthouse was torn down in 1895 and the fifth courthouse, a Victorian structure was built. The courthouse burned in 1906 and the six courthouse, a classical two story structure was designed by G A Berry built by Howard & Moss in 1907. The courthouse burned in 1922. The seventh and present courthouse was constructed in 1923 to 1924 and is similar to the 1907 courthouse.
County Courthouse – Surry
Photos taken 2013