Brunswick County is named for the former Duchy of Brunswick-Lunenburg in Germany.
Created: November 2, 1720
Thomasburg ( Cochran ) 1721 – 1746
Freeman 1746 – 1781
Lawrenceville 1781 – present
County Courthouse – Lawrenceville
Location: 216 North Main Street / Hicks Street
Built: 1997 – 1999
Architect: Browne, Eichman, Dalgliesh, Gilpin and Paxton PC ( Dalgliesh, Eichaman, Oglie & Farris )
Contractor: Knightsbridge Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has a projecting center section with a portico and four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The roof is hipped with several dormers. The building is named as the Albertis S. Harrison, Jr. Courthouse. On the north side is the old two story red colored brick jail and the old courthouse, which comprise the Courthouse Square.
Old County Courthouse – Lawrenceville
Location: 228 North Main Street / Bank Street
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Edward Randolph Turnbull and Robert Kirkland.
Contractor: Edward Randolph Turnbull and Robert Kirkland.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The building is located on the north side of the new courthouse and the old jail. The west front has a large portico with four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The recessed entrance is framed with white colored wood trim. On the roof is a square cupola. The building was enlarged in 1939. The building was enlarged again in 1976 to 1978. The architect was William Ward Moseley and the contractor was Edward E Davis. The building was renovated in 2013. The contractor was Blair Construction of Gretna.
Note: The earliest courthouse was moved from its site at Cochran, the area of the Route 1 and 46 intersections and then near Fort Christanna to a site near Freeman in 1746. In 1781, it was moved again to what is now Lawrenceville.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Brunswick County Courthouse Square
Photos taken 2013