Prince George County is named for Prince George of Denmark, who was the husband of Queen Anne of England.
Created: August 28, 1702
Chapall’s Creek 1702 – 1714
Bailley’s Creek 1714 – 1784
Prince George 1784 – present
County Courthouse – Prince George
Location: 6601 Courts Drive / Laurel Spring Road
Built: 1988 – 1990
Architect: Hening-Vest-Coving Architectural Corporation
Contractor: Donohoc Construction Company, Inc..
Description: The building faces west and is a two story brown colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The west front has a projecting portico with four white colored columns rising to a semi-circular section at the peaked roof line. Along the north and south sides of the west front are long horizontal windows with peaked section along the sloped red colored roof.
Old County Courthouse – Prince George
Location: Courthouse Road / Administration Drive
Built: 1882 – 1883
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: F B Leavenworth
Contractor: J Chappall.
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure. The south front of the rectangular building has an arcade on the first story with three large arches and recessed entrance with white colored wood frame. On the second story are vertical windows. The roof is hipped. An addition was constructed in 1929. The architect was Fred A Bishop and the contractor was Coupee Lai. On the west side is the one story red colored brick Clerk’s Office built in 1900. On the southeast side is the Commissioner of the Revenue and Treasurer’s Office built in 1935. On the west side is the Assessor’s Office built in 1921.
Note: The first courthouse was built at Bailley’s Creek in 1714. The first courthouse in Prince George was built in 1810 and destroyed during the Civil War in 1864. The second courthouse was built by John Tinsley in 1868.
County Administration – Prince George
Location: 6602 Courts Drive / Laurel Spring Road
Built: 2002 – 2004
Architect: Hening-Vest-Coving-Chenault Architectural Corporation
Contractor: Kenbridge Construction Company Inc.
Description: The building faces east and is a three story light brown colored brick and concrete structure. The long rectangular building is located on spacious grounds. The main entrance along the east side has a recessed entrance on the first story and a large round window on the second story. Horizontal white colored bands run above and below the windows. The hipped roof is red colored.
S – Sussex County
Photos taken 2013