Buchanan County is named for James Buchanan, who was a United States senator from Pennsylvania and President of the United States.
Created: February 13, 1858
Grundy 1858 – present
County Courthouse – Grundy
Location: SE – Main Street / Walnut Street
Built: 1905 – 1906
Style: Renaissance Revival
Architect: Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington, DC
Contractor: Frank Pierce Milburn & Company
Description: The building faces west and is a three story stone gray colored course sandstone structure. At the northwest corner is a tall square clock tower with open space at the top. The west front has a projecting stone porch on the first story and above is a high vertical arched window. The building is covered by a shallow, slate-covered hipped roof with a modillion cornice and plain frieze. On the east side is the modern five story addition with five large arches along the first story. The building was gutted by fire in 1915 and rebuilt in 1917. The architect was Frank Pierce Milburn of Milburn, Heister and Company and the contractor was S R Hurley. The building was enlarged in 1949 to 1951. The contractor was J Clarence Hildreth. The building was remodeled in 1980. The architect was William D Price. Present construction is being done by Price-Rothe-Muse of Blountville, Tennessee. On the east side is the two story Sheriff’s Office.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1858 and was destroyed by fire in 1862. The next courthouse was built in 1862 and another courthouse built in 1866 and was destroyed by fire in 1885. The previous courthouse was built in 1886.
See: The architect Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington, DC.
E – Tazewell County
S – Russell County
Photos taken 2013