Dickenson County

US States / V-Z / Virginia / Dickenson County
0874VM13

Dickenson County is named for William J Dickenson, who was a delegate to the Virginia General Assembly from Russell County.

 

Created:  March 1, 1880

County Seat: 

Clintwood  1880 – present

 

County Courthouse – Clintwood 

 

Location:  293 Main Street / McClure Street

Built:  1915 – 1917

Style:  Colonial Revival

Architect:  H M Miller

Contractor:  D G Kelley

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building backs onto a hill. The southeast front has a high portico with two double Ionic columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. There is corbeled brick at the corners. The second story windows are arched. There is a southwest and a northeast wing. On the center of the roof is a square white colored cupola with clock and dome. The roof is hipped. The 1915 front was constructed onto the 1894 courthouse. An addition was added in 1950. A further addition was constructed on the northwest side in 1972 which replaced the original 1894 building.. The architect in 1972 was Beeson & Beeson of Abingdon.

 

Note:  The first court was held in the log dwelling of James Fleming at the mouth of Caney Creek in 1880. A brick courthouse was built in 1881 and this was replaced by the 1894 courthouse.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Dickenson County Courthouse

 

Courthouses: 

North  – Pike County, Kentucky

East    – Buchanan County

South – Russell County

West   – Wise County

 

 

 

0875vm13

 

 

0876vm13

 

 

0877vm13

 

 

0879vm13

 

 

0880vm13

 

 

0881vm13

 

 

0884vm13

Photos taken 2013