Tazewell County is named for Henry Tazewell, who was a United States Senator from Virginia.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Bland County
Created: December 17, 1799
Tazewell 1800 – present
County Courthouse – Tazewell
Location: 101 East Main Street / Court Avenue
Built: 1874 – 1875
Style: Colonial Revival
Architect: W G Bottimore
Contractor: H L Branson & W W Peery
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The north front has a portico with four white colored columns with pediment at the roof line. The center section projects from the main building with east and west wings. A cornice runs below the roof line. The roof is hipped. The building was remodeled in 1914 and the architect was Andrew J Bryan and the contractor was Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky. A large addition was constructed on the south side in 2000 to 2002. The addition is dark red colored brick and concrete. The roof line is flat. The architect was Thompson & Litton and contractor was Ellinwood + Machado.
See: The contractor Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky.
Note: The first courthouse was built of buckeye logs in Tazewell ( Jeffersonville ) at a cost of $10 by men from the county. The second courthouse was a frame structure built by William Williams in 1801 at a cost of $938. The courthouse burned in 1839’s and the third courthouse was a brick structure built in 1835. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed.In 1874 to 1875.
County Courthpuse – Tazewell
County Courthouse Addition – Tazewell
Photos taken 2013