Pike County is named for Zebulon Pike, who was the discoverer of Pikes Peak, and who lived from 1779 to 1813.
Created: December 19, 1821
Pikeville 1821 – present
County Courthouse – Pikeville
Location: 146 Main Street / Division Street
Built: 1888 – 1889
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: H P McDonald Brothers of Louisville
Contractor: James Hatcher
Description: The building faces northwest and is a three story buff colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and the north front has an arched entrance in the center with part square pillars rising to a peaked roof. The first story has horizontal lined brickwork and the second and third stories have a light colored brick construction. A decorative cornice is along the roof line. On the center of the west side, a large square tower rises with a clock and smaller square cupola on top. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building was renovated and an addition added in 1932 and 1933. The architect was Levi J Dean of Huntington, West Virginia and the contractor was Joe H Justice and Albert S Johnson.
See: The architect H P McDonald and Brothers of Louisville, Kentucky.
County Hall of Justice – Pikeville
Location: 172 Division Street / Main Street
Built: 1988 – 1989
Architect: Chrisman, Miller and Woodford
Contractor: Alliance Corporation
Description: The building faces northwest and is a three story yellow colored concrete structure. The south front has a wide portico with red colored tile roof. On the roof is a circular center section with raised section behind. The building is named as the Hall of Justice. In 2006 the building was renovated and an addition added. The architect was CMW Inc. and the contractor was Codell Construction Company.
County Judicial Center – Pikeville
Location: 169 Main Street / Division Street
Built: 2010 – 2013
Architect: Sherman Carter Barnhart LLC of Lexington
Contractor: Codell Construction Company of Winchester
Description: The building faces north and is a four story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the northwest of the courthouse and the north front has a projecting one story glass enclosed portico. The building is tired with on story sections and two story sections behind. Above the north entrance, the building rises to a hipped roof with vertical windows and square cupola at the top.
County Hall of Justice
County Judicial Center
Photos taken 2007, 2014 and 2018