Russell County is named for William Russell, who was a frontiersman and a state representative.
Created: January 2, 1786
Castlewood 1786 – 1818
Lebanon 1818 – present
County Courthouse – Lebanon
Location: 53 East Main Street / Hendricks Avenue
Built: 1874 – 1875
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Felix Grundy Ketron of Lebanon
Contractor: Felix Grundy Ketron of Lebanon
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The original building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city and is “T” shaped with a north wing. The south front has a large portico with four white colored columns rising to an ornamented pediment. On the west corner, the building projects slightly. On the center of the roof is a high white colored cupola with white colored dome. The roof is hipped. On the north side is a large addition. Additions were constructed in 1891, 1905 and 1922. The architect in 1922 was Burnett, Dixon & Burnett. A further addition was added in 1958.
Note: The courthouse built in 1818 was destroyed by fire in February 1872. Felix Grundy Ketron, a master carpenter, was hired to rebuild the structure in 1874 following the design of the 1818 courthouse. Materials were used from the local area. The front has limestone foundation and the bricks were fired and made on Elk Garden region of the county.
Old County Courthouse – Dickersenville
Location: Highway 58A west of Dickersenville
Architect: Henry Dickenson
Contractor: Henry Dickenson
Description: The building is a two story stone structure. The building served as the courthouse until 1818 when the county seat was moved to Lebanon. A brick wing was added to the stone structure by the Robert Dickenson family between 1830 and 1850. Used as a residence until the 1970′s, the courthouse began to undergo a restoration process in 1976
Photos taken 2013