Archuleta County is named for J M Archuleta, who was the head of one of the old Spanish families of New Mexico and for Antonio D Archuleta, who was the Senator from Conejos County at the time.
Created: April 14, 1885
Pagosa Springs 1885 – present
County Courthouse – Pagosa Springs
Location: 449 San Juan Street / Main Street
Built: 1928 – 1929
Architect: Eugene G Groves of Denver
Contractor: Martin J Wicklem
Description: The building faces north and is a two story structure. The building is a light yellow colored stucco. The east section of the building is two stories and the newer west section is one story. The east section has arched windows and a recessed central entrance on the north side. The roof line is flat.
Note: The bid of Martin J Wicklem was accepted at $28,263 on April 6, 1928.
E – Conejos County
W – La Plata County
Photos taken 2011