Otero County is named for Miguel A Otero of the prominent Otero family of the Southwest and founder of La Junta.
Created: March 25, 1889
La Junta 1889 – present
County Courthouse – La Junta
Location: 13 West 3rd Street / Colorado Avenue
Built: 1958 – 1959
Architect: C Francis Pillsbury
Contractor: Maher Construction Company of Aurora
Description: The building faces south and is a one story light buff colored brick structure. The building has long glass windows. The entrance on the south side is located in the centre of the building. The west end of the building rises higher than the east end. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Baerresen Brothers and constructed in 1987. The building was razed for the present courthouse.
E – Bent County
Photos taken 2006 and 2007