Independence County is named for the Declaration of Independence.
Created: October 23, 1820
Batesville 1820 – present
County Courthouse – Batesville
Location: 192 East Main Street / Broad Street
Built: 1940 – 1941
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Wittenberg and Delony of Little Rock
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story gray colored stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The lower east and west wings project. The recessed center section has a central entrance on the first story and vertical windows on the second story. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1821. The previous courthouse was designed by Thomas Harding II and constructed by Frank Joblin 1n 1892 and burned in 1939.
E – Jackson County
Photos taken 2011