White County is named for Hugh L White, who was a United States presidential candidate.
Created: October 23. 1835
Searcy 1835 – present
County Courthouse – Searcy
Location: 1600 East Booth Road / Queensway Street
Built: 2004 – 2005
Architect: Spiit Architect Group LLC
Contractor: Southbuild LLC
Description: The building faces south and is a two story brick, concrete and glass structure. The rectangular building has a central entrance on the south front with glass walls. The east side of the building has red colored brick with windows on the first story and the west side has white colored brick. The roof line is flat. The construction Manager was Smith-Doyle Contractors LLC. The building is names as the Courts Building.
Old County Courthouse – Searcy
Location: 300 North Spruce Street / Race Avenue
Built: 1870 – 1871
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: B K Rodgers and M H Baldwin of Jones and Baldwin of Memphis, Tennessee
Contractor: Wyatt Sanford and others
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The west front has a central portico with three arches on the first story and four columns on the second story with pediment at the roof line. There is a similar portico on the east side. The north and south wings project from the main building and have porches on the first story. On the center of the roof is a large square dome with clock and red colored roof. The building was remodeled in 1912. The architect was Frank W Gibb of Little Rock and the contractor was L R Wright & Company. Restoration was completed in 2011. The architect is Hoffman Architectural and contractor is Hart Construction.
Note: The first courthouse was the home of David Crise. In 1837, the second courthouse was a log structure on land donated by James Walker. In 1850, the third courthouse was a frame structure which served until 1870.
Photos taken 2011