Jackson County

US States / O-U / Texas / Jackson County
0818T14

Jackson County is named for Andrew Jackson, who was the seventh President of the United States from 1829 to 1837.

Created:  March 17, 1836

County Seat: 

Texana   1836 – 1883

Edna      1883 – present

County Courthouse – Edna

Location:  115 West Main Street / North Wells Street

Built:  1953 – 1954

Style:  Modern

Architect:  F Perry Johnson

Contractor:  J B Hughes

Description:  The building faces northwest and is a one story buff and light red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The building is located on spacious grounds. The central entrance on the northwest front has a clock on the brick wall and glass paneled entrance. The north side of the entrance has buff colored flagstone facing. The windows are horizontal. On the north and south side, one story wings extend westwards. The roof line is flat.

 

Note:  The first courthouse was built in 1858 in Texana. The second courthouse was designed by E A Wilson and built by Piper & Dietz of Lavac County in Edna in 1884. The third courthouse was designed by Charles Henry Page Jr. and constructed by N A Dawson in 1906. At a cost of $41,000. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $376,000.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Lavaca County, Colorado County and Wharton County

E – Matagorda County 

S – Calhoun County

W – Victoria County

 

 

 

0814t14

County Courthouse

 

 

0815t14

 

 

0816t14

 

 

0821t14

 

 

0820t14

 

 

0823t14

 

 

0825t14

 

 

0826t14

 

 

0827t14

 

 

0828t14

 

 

0830t14

 

 

0829t14

 

 

0812t14

 

 

0813t14

Photos taken 2014