Victoria County is named for Guadalupe Victoria, who was the first president of Mexico.
Created: March 7, 1836
Victoria 1836 – present
Old County Courthouse – Victoria
Location: 115 North Bridge Street / West Constitution Street
Built: 1892 – 1893
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: James Riely Gordon of San Antonio
Contractor: Martin, Byrne & Johnston
Description: The building faces east and is a three story buff colored stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The building has wide arches along the first story. On each side of the building, two protruding sections rise with peaked roofs. In the building center is a high square bell tower with open section and clock above beneath the steep roof. On either side of the tower are protruding sections rise with peaked roofs. The courtroom was renovated in 2001. The architect was David Hoffman. The building is connected by a tunnel to the new courthouse on the north side.
See: The architect James Riely Gordon of San Antonio, Texas
Note: The first and previous courthouse was built by Richard Owens in 1849. The building was sold by auction when the 1892 courthouse was constructed.
County Court House – Victoria
Location: 101 North Bridge Street / West Forrest Street
Built: 1966 – 1967
Architect: Christopher DiStefano & Associates
Contractor: D W Marshall Construction Company
Description: The building faces east and is a three story concrete, stone and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city on the north side of the old courthouse. The southeast corner has a vertical glass section with the entrance on the first story. The building has long vertical windows. A concrete band runs along the flat roof line. The building is connected to the old courthouse by a tunnel on the south side.
S – Refugio County
W – Goliad County
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2006, 2014 and 2019