Calhoun County is named for John Caldwell Calhoun, who was the seventh Vice President of the United States.
Created: April 4, 1846
Lavaca 1846 – 1852
Indianola 1852 – 1887
Port Lavaca 1887 – present
County Courthouse – Port Lavaca
Location: 211 South Ann Street / West Leona Street
Built: 1958 – 1959
Architect: Rusty and Martin
Contractor: D W Marshall Construction Corporation
Description: The building faces northeast and is a three story concrete, steel, stone and glass modern style structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The northeast front is faced with a light yellow colored stone. Towards the northeast corner the building rises in a square tower with glass and aluminum dividers. The outer walls of the second and third stories are glass with aluminum dividers. The roof line is flat. On the north side is the County Courthouse Annex.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Lavaca in 1846 and in Indianola in 1857. A courthouse was built in Port Lavaca in 1887 after the change in county seat. The previous courthouse was designed by W Chamberlain & Company and constructed by Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky in 1911.
N – Jackson County
County Courthouse Annex
Photos taken 2006, 2014 and 2019