Maury County is named for Abram Poindexter Maury, who was a Tennessee State legislator.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Marshall County
Created: November 16, 1807
Columbia 1807 – present
County Courthouse – Columbia
Location: 41 Public Square / 7th Street
Built: 1904 – 1906
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: John Edwin Ruthven Carpenter of Carpenter and Blair of New York, New York
Contractor: Hugger Brothers
Description: The building faces west and is a three story gray colored stone and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on the landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square in the center of Columbia. The west and east sides have porticos with four columns rising from the second to third stories with pediment above. A wide cornice runs below the roof line. On the center of the roof is a square high clock tower rising to a dome with clock and high spire. In the interior, there is a central atrium under the dome with stairs ascending to the third story and with a stained glass skylight. The Chancery Court courtroom is on the first story, the General Sessions Court courtroom is on the second story and the Circuit Court courtroom is on the third story. The building houses the County Circuit Court, County Chancery Court, County General Sessions Court – Part I and County Juvenile Court of the 22nd Judicial District. The building was renovated in 1971 to 1972. The architect was Howard, Neilsen, Lyne, Batey & O’Brien, Inc. of Nashville and the contractor was L E Kirk & Son of Columbia.
Note: The County has purchased the Daily Herald property at 1115 South Main Street and East 10th Street as a possible site for a new courthouse.
County General Sessions Courthouse – Mount Pleasant
Location: 130 Bluegrass Avenue / Broadway Street
Built: 2018 – 2019
Architect: James Kennon Architectural Services of Nashville
Contractor: Bell & Associates Construction of Brentwood.
Description: The building faces north and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building faces north and was completed in 2019. The rectangular shaped building is located in the center of Mount Pleasant. The north front has a projecting porch with recessed entrance and rising to a peak. Behind, the main building also rises to a peak. On the east side is a projecting section with large window. The roof is hipped. In the interior, the courtroom is centrally located in the building and features raised acoustical ceilings in an offset grid pattern with high-impact wood laminate wainscoting along the entire perimeter of the room. A custom-designed judge’s bench, attorney’s tables, and public seating are all crafted from stained rift sawn white oak for simplicity and durability. The building houses the County General Sessions Court – Part II of the 22nd Judicial District.
Note: The County General Sessions Court – Part II was housed in the Ed T Workman Building at 115 Noth Main Street and Hay Long Avenue in Mount Pleasant until 2019.
History: The county was created in 1807 and Columbia was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a log structure which was also the home of Colonel Joseph Brown in 1808, located south of Columbia. The second courthouse was a brick structure built in Columbia in 1809. The third courthouse was built in 1944 to 1846. The fourth courthouse was built in 1846. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1904 to 1906 at a cost of $120,000. The General Sessions Courthouse was constructed in Mount Pleasant in 2018 to 2019 at a cost of $2,500,000.
County Courthouse – Columbia
Photos taken 2012 and 2018