Wayne County is named for Anthony Wayne, who was a general in the American Revolutionary War, and who lived from 1745 to 1796.
Created: November 24, 1817
Old Town Branch 1817 – 1822
Waynesboro 1822 – present
County Courthouse – Waynesboro
Location: 100 Court Circle / Hill Street
Built: 1973 – 1974
Architect: Yearwood and Johnson of Nashville
Contractor: W C Moore Construction Company
Description: The building faces east and is a two story glass and concrete structure. The building is located on Courthouse Square in the center of the city. has horizontal windows on the first story with recessed entrances. A high clock tower rises on the west side. The roof line is sloped.
Note: The first courthouse was built at Old Town Branch by William Barnett in 1820. In 1822, the second courthouse was built in Waynesboro. In 1827, the third courthouse was built at a cost of $800. In 1844, the fourth courthouse was built at a cost of $4000. In 1904, the fifth courthouse was constructed at a cost of $25,000. This building burned in 1972. The present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $900,000.
E – Lawrence County
S – Lauderdale County, Alabama
W – Hardin County
Picture 1904 Courthouse
Photos taken 2012