Marshall County is named for John Marshall, who was Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court.
Created: February 20, 1836
Lewisburg 1836 – present
County Courthouse – Lewisburg
Location: 107 South 1st Avenue / Commerce Street
Built: 1928 – 1929
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Hart, Freeland and Roberts
Contractor: Martin & Warlick
Description: The building faces east and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of Courthouse Square in the center of the city. The east front has eight columns rising from the second story to the third story with glass panel windows between. Above is a wide header with clock siting above the roof line. The building was renovated in 1974 and 1998.
Note: The first courthouse was a two story structure built in 1835. The building burned on November 12, 1873. The second courthouse was designed by Thomas D Moore, Samuel Davis, J B Ezell, James Hendrick and James W Nance and constructed in 1874. The building burned in 1927.
County Courthouse Annex – Lewisburg
Location: 101 West Commerce Street / South 1st Avenue
Built: 1906 – 1907
Style: Modern Classical
Architect: James M Wilson
Contractor: T W Frierson
Description: The building faces north and is a three story glass and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of the city across from the courthouse. The rectangular shaped building was constructed as the First National Bank Building and became the Courthouse Annex in 1998. The roof line is flat.
E – Bedford County
Picture 1874 Courthouse
County Courthouse Annex
Photos taken 2012 and 2018