Lewis County is named for Meriwether Lewis, who was an explorer who traveled along the Missouri River.
Created: December 21, 1843
Gordon 1843 – 1848
Newburg 1848 – 1897
Hohenwald 1897 – present
County Courthouse – Hohenwald
Location: 110 North Park Street / Linden Avenue
Built: 1938 – 1939
Architect: Hart and Russell of Nashville
Contractor: Chrichlow-Yearwood Company
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The center section of the building rises higher than the north and south sections. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located on the east side of the second story. The building was a Federal Emergency Administration project.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Lewis County Courthouse
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1843 in Gordon and the second courthouse was built in Newburg in 1857. In 1897, the county seat was moved to Hohenwald and the third courthouse was built. In 1927 the building was demolished and the court moved to an old school building located on the current site of the courthouse. In 1937 the old school building was razed and construction began on the current and fifth courthouse.
N – Hickman County
E – Maury County
Photos taken 2012 and 2018