Williamson County is named for Hugh Williamson, who was a United States Representative in Congress.
Created: October 26, 1799
Franklin 1799 – present
County Courthouse – Franklin
Location: 305 Public Square / 3rd Avenue South
Built: 1858 – 1859
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: John W Miller.
Contractor: John W Miller.
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on Courthouse Square in the center of the city. The north front has a high central portico with four columns rising to a pediment with clock at the roof line. The four 30‐foot columns are made of iron forged at the Caney Fork Furnace, in western Williamson County. There is a second story balcony. The roof is hipped. The building was renovated in 1937 and 1964. On the southeast side is a modern addition constructed in 1976. The building was renovated in 2009.
Note: The first courthouse was a log structure built in 1800. The second courthouse was a brick structure built in 1806. The third and present courthouse was built at a cost of $27,594.
County Judicial Center – Franklin
Location: 135 4th Avenue South / Church Street
Built: 2002 – 2004
Architect: Heery International, Incorporated
Contractor: The Parent Company, Inc.
Description: The building faces northwest and s a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of the city to the south of the courthouse. The southwest front has a large central portico with four columns rising to a pediment with clock at the roof line. There is a balcony on the second story. On the southeast side is a porch with four columns. A narrow belt runs below the roof overhang. The roof line is flat. The building is connected by a second story walkway to the old courthouse on the north side.
County Judicial Center
Photos taken 2014 and 2018