Lancaster County

US States / O-U / Pennsylvania / Lancaster County
1828O15

Lancaster County is named for the City of Lancaster in England, which was named after the House of Lancaster.

 

Created:  October 14, 1728

County Seat:

Lancaster  1728 – present

 

 County Courthouse - Lancaster  

 

Location:  50 North Duke Street / Orange Street

Built:  1853 – 1854

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  Samuel Sloan

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story buff colored brick, stucco and stone structure. The south front has a large portico with three arched entrances on the first story and six columns rising from the second story to a wide pediment at the roof line. On the roof is a round cupola. An addition was built in 1898. The architect was James H Warner and the contractor was H N Breneman & Son. Further additions were built in 1920 and 1928 when the architect was C Emler Urban. On the north side is a modern four story red colored brick annex constructed in 1n 1973 to 1975.The architect was Buhart Associates and the contractor was Wohlsen Construction Company.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Dauphin County, Lebanon County and Berks County

E – Chester County

S – Cecil County, Maryland and Harford County, Maryland

W – York County

 

 

 

1829o15

 

 

1830o15

 

 

1832o15

 

 

1833o15

 

 

1835o15

 

 

1836o15

 

 

1839o15

 

 

1841o15

 

 

1842o15

 

 

1843o15

 

 

1844o15

 

 

1846o15

 

 

1847o15

 

 

1827o15

Photos taken 2015