Harford County is named for Henry Harford, who was the illegitimate son of Frederick Calvert, 6th Baron Baltimore.
Created: December 17, 1773
Bel Air 1773 – present
Old County Courthouse – Bel Air
Location: 20 West Courtland Street / South Main Street
Built: 1859 – 1860
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: J Crawford Neilson of Baltimore
Contractor: Frank Barr
Description: The building faces north east and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The northeast front has a projecting section at the center with recessed framed entrance and large arched window on the second story. Above is a pediment at the roof line. The windows are arched. On the center of the hipped roof is a square open cupola. The building was remodeled in 1904 with the addition of the front section. The architect was John A Dempwolf of York Pennsylvania. On the west side is the new courthouse which is connected to the old courthouse.
County Courthouse – Bel Air
Location: 20 West Courtland Street / South Bond Street
Built: 1982 – 1984
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The main entrance is on the north side of the northwest front where the building is connected to the old courthouse. The outer part of the roof is sloped.
County District Court – Bel Air
Location: 2 South Bond Street / Pennsylvania Avenue
Built: 1981 – 1983
Description: The building faces southeast and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is a “U” shape with the south wing extending further to the east. The entrance is at the north side of the south wing. The edge of the roof is sloped. The building is named as the Mary E W Risteau District Court & Multi Service Center. The building is being renovated in 2013.
E – Cecil County
S – Kent County
W – Baltimore County
Photos taken 2013