Lebanon County is named for the Lebanon Township which was named for a Biblical term meaning “white mountain”.
Created: February 16, 1813
Lebanon 1813 – present
County Courthouse - Lebanon
Location: 400 8th Street / Oak Street
Built: 1959 – 1960
Architect: William Lynch Murray of Harrisburg
Contractor: Diller Plank, Inc. of Lancaster
Description: The building faces west and is a four story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has a projecting center section with vertical dividers with entrance on the first story and aluminum decorative scenes and recessed windows above. The roof line is flat. The building also houses the City of Lebanon offices.
Note: The first courthouse was built by Stephen Hills in 1818. An addition was built in 1853. The building burned and was rebuilt in 1910.
Old County Courthouse - Lebanon
Location: 924 Cumberland Street / Partridge Street
Built: 1773 – 1774
Description: The building faces north and is a three story stone and wood structure. The north front has a small central portico. The windows have white colored shutters. On the third story are dormers and a hipped roof. Built as a home for Dr. William Henry Stoy, a local minister and prominent Revolutionary War doctor, the upstairs rooms were used as Lebanon County’s first courthouse when the county was established in 1813. The building now houses the Stoy Museum.
E – Berks County
S – Lancaster County
W – Dauphin County
Photos taken 2015