Cecil County is named for Caecilius Calvert, 2nd Baron Baltimore whose name was Anglicized to “Cecil”.
Created: June 6, 1674
Elkton 1674 – present
County Courthouse – Elkton
Location: 129 East Main Street / Courthouse Plaza
Built: 1939 – 1940
Style: Moderne / Art Deco
Architect: Malone & Williams
Contractor: Lacchi Construction Company
Description: The building faces south and is a three story course stone and concrete structure. The south front is course stone with a concrete center section with central entrance on the first story and three large windows on the second story. The building is tiered and has a flat roof line. The building was renovated in 2009. The architect was Francis Cauffman of Baltimore. On the east side is a three story buff colored brick addition which is connected to the courthouse by a three story section on the north side of a courtyard. There is a one story entrance porch on the east side of the addition. The addition was constructed in 1965 to 1967. The architect was Buchard Associates and the contractor was Frederic G Kraff Construction Company.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1792 and this building was replaced by the present courthouse.
County District Court – Elkton
Location: 170 East Main Street / Church Street
Built: 1981 – 1983
Description: The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The south front has a plaza with arched entrance on the second story. The building descends a slope to the south. On the east side is a rectangular section with flat roof line. On the west side is a green colored sloped roof rising behind the main entrance.
E – New Castle County, Delaware
S – Kent County
W – Harford County
Photos taken 2013