Dauphin County is named for The Dauphin of France, who was the second son of the King of France.
Created: March 4, 1785
Harrisburg 1843 – present
County Courthouse – Harrisburg
Location: 2 South Front Street / Market Street
Built: 1942 – 1943
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Ritchie Lawrie and M Edwin Green
Contractor: William A Berbusse Jr., Inc..
Description: The building faces southwest and is a four story style structure. The building faces west towards the Susquehanna River. The building is an impressive neo-classical styling with interior-clad marble spaces. In front of the building is a fountain with a statue “Youth Crushing Evil”. The west front has high vertical dividers with recessed glass walls. The roof line is flat. Interior work was completed by Paul C Jennewein. The building was renovated from 2002 to 2004. The architect was Buchart-Horn, Inc. and Basco Associates.
See: The architect, Lawrie & Green also designed the courthouse in Cumberland County.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Samuel Holmand and Daniel E Wirt and built in 1860.
See: The Pennsylvania Supreme Court is located in the county.
S – Lancaster County
Photos taken 2015