York County is named for the city of York in England, United Kingdom.
Created: October 14, 1748
York 1749 – present
County Courthouse – York
Location: 28 East Market Street / George Street
Built: 1900 – 1901
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: John Augustine Dempwolf
Contractor: William Miller and Sons
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick structure. The north front has a large portico with five opening on the first story and six Ionic columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story with pediment at the roof line. The east and west wings have central entrances with small balconies on the second story. On the hipped roof are three round cupolas. An addition was constructed in 1959 on the east and west sides. The architect was Clarence L Forre. The building is now the York County Administration Center.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1745. The second courthouse was built in 1838. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $350,000.
County Judicial Center – York
Location: 45 North George Street / Philadelphia Street
Built: 2002 – 2004
Architect: Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum Architects Inc.
Contractor: Kinsley Construction Inc.
Description: The building faces west and is a six story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The west front has a semi-circular portico with recessed entrance. On the north and south are two story projecting sections. Behind the portico is a sold glass wall with large towers on the north and south sides. The roof line is flat.
Colonial County Courthouse – York
Location: West Market Street / Pershing Street
Built: 1754 – 1755
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The building was reconstructed in 1976. The south side has a central entrance. The windows have white colored shutters. The roof is hipped with a small white colored cupola at the center.
E – Lancaster County
W – Adams County
Photos taken 2015