Malheur County

US States / O-U / Oregon / Malheur County
Malheur

Malheur County is named for the Malheur River, which was called the Riviere au Malheur or “Unfortunate River” by French-Canadian trappers whose property and furs were stolen from their river encampment.

 

Created:  February 17, 1887

County Seat: 

Vale  1887 – present

 

County Courthouse –  Vale 

 

Location:  251 B Street West / Court Street South

Built:  1957 – 1958

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Roald.Schmeer & Harrington of Portland

Contractor:  McCormack Construction Company

 

Description:  The building  faces north and is a two story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The center section projects from the main building and is supported by six pillars on the first story with the entrance being recessed. The east and west wings have green panels above and below the windows. The roof line is flat.

 

Note:  The previous courthouse was built in 1902.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Baker County

E – Washington County, Idaho, Payette County, Idaho, Canyon County, Idaho and Owyhee County, Idaho

S – Humboldt County, Nevada

W – Harney County and Grant County

 

 

 

0670wc09

 

 

0668wc09

 

 

0669wc09

 

 

0671wc09

Photos taken 2009