Harney County is named for William S Harney, who was a cavalry officer and who was involved in the Pig War.
Created: February 25, 1889
County Courthouse – Burns
Location: 450 North Buena Vista Avenue / West Washington Street
Built: 1941 – 1942
Architect: C Roald, Schmeer and Harrington of Portland
Contractor: A Richie & Company of Baker
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff brick structure. The building fis located on landscaped grounds and is rectangular with the main entrance at the center of the east side. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1890 as the Smith and Young Building and donated to the county. In 1940, the county moved into the Brown Building. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $68,231.
E – Malheur County
Photos taken 2015