Canyon County is named for the canyon of the Boise River or for the Snake River Canyon which forms the boundary with Oregon State.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Ada County
S – Owyhee County
W – Malheur County, Oregon
Created: March 7, 1891
Caldwell 1892 – present
County Courthouse – Caldwell
Location: 1112 Albany Street / North 11th Avenue
Built: 1974 – 1975
Architect: Keys, Olson & Ensley
Contractor: Walter Opp Construction Company
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story buff colored concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Caldwell. The building has a three story section along the east side. The south central section is recessed. In the center is an open courtyard with the walls of the old courthouse along the north side. The roof line is flat. On the northeast side is the County Jail and on the northwest side is the County Administration..
History: The county was created in 1891 and Caldwell was selected as the county seat in 1892. The first courthouse was built at Albany Street and Belmont Street. The second courthouse was designed by Wayland & Fennell and constructed by Whiteway & Hicks in 1906 to 1907 at a cost of $62,000. The third and present courthouse was constructed around the previous courthouse which was then demolished in 1974 to 1975.
County Courthouse – Cadwell
County Jail – Caldwell
Picture 1907 County Courthouse
Photos taken 2009