Baker County is named for Edward Baker, who was one of Oregon’s first Senators and was killed at the Battle of Balls Bluff in 1861.
Created: September 22, 1862
Baker City 1862 – present
County Courthouse – Baker City
Location: 1995 3rd Street / Court Avenue
Built: 1908 – 1909
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: Delos D Near of Portland
Contractor: T R Yerger
Description: The building faces east and is a three story volcanic rock structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the city center. The east front has arched windows on the second story and has steps on the north and south leading up to arched entrances. On the south side is a high square clock tower. The roof is sloped. In 2011 the building was restored. The contractor was Sid Johnson & Company of Baker City. On the south side is an addition.
W – Grant County
Photos taken 2012