Steele County

US States / N / North Dakota / Steele County
Steele

Steele County is named for Edward H Steel of Minneapolis ( 1846 – 1899 ) who was secretary-treasurer of the Red River Land Company which was largely responsible for the establishment of the county.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Nelson County and Grand Forks County

E – Traill County

S – Cass County and Barnes County

W – Griggs County

 

Created:  June 2, 1883                           Map of North Dakota highlighting Steele County

County Seat: 

Hope             1883 – 1885

Sherbrooke   1885 – 1919

Finley            1919 – present

 

County Courthouse – Finley

 

Location:  201 Washington Avenue / Central Avenue

Built: 1925 – 1927

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Braseth & Houkom

Contractor:  T Ostby & Son

 

Description: The building faces south and is a three story buff colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds on the north side of the center of Finley. The rectangular shaped building is 89 feet by 64 feet and has Indiana limestone on the first level. Load bearing hollow tile brick supports the building. Six stone columns rise from the second to third floors on the south and four stone columns rise on the east and west sides. The windows are set between the columns and the roof line is flat. Interior decoration includes floral medallions in the vestibule, terrazzo floors, and the stairway and column bases sheathed in marble. The courtroom is located on the east side of the third story with high ceilings.The building houses the County District Court of the East Central Judicial District. A passenger elevator was installed. The architect was Lightowler Johnson Associates and the contractor was Wick Construction Inc.

 

Note:  The Commissioners set aside $85,000 for the construction of the courthouse.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Steele County Courthouse

 

History:  The county was created in 1883 and Hope was designated as the county seat. The county seat was moved to Sherbrooke in 1885 and no courthouse was built. In 1919, the county seat was moved to Finley. The county used a rented premises until the first and present courthouse was constructed in 1925 to 1927.

 

 

0026m09

County Courthouse – Finley

 

 

0024m09

 

 

0025m09

 

 

76d18

 

 

0027m09

 

 

80d18

 

 

0028m09

 

 

81d18

 

 

82d18

 

 

83d18

 

 

84d18

 

 

85d18

 

 

86d18

 

 

87d18

 

 

0029m09

Photos taken 2006, 2009 and 2018