Nelson County is named after Nelson E Nelson , who was a member of the Dakota Territorial Council from 1881 to 1882, delegate to the Republican National Convention from the Dakota Territory in 1884.
Created: March 2, 1883
Petersburg 1883 – 1885
Lakota 1883 – present
County Courthouse – Lakota
Location: 210 B Avenue West / 2nd Street West
Built: 1951 – 1952
Style: Art Deco
Architect: George A Blewett
Contractor: Johnson-Gillanfers Company
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The rectangular shaped building has a projecting center section at the south side entrance. Above the entrance is a large glass window. The roof line is flat. The building is called the “Nelson County Memorial Court House”.
Note: A courthouse was built in Petersburg and the previous courthouse in Lakota was built in 1885.
See: The contractor, Johnson-Gillanfers Company, also constructed the courthouse in Walsh County.
Photos taken 2006 and 2009