Polk County is named for William Polk, who was an officer in the American Revolutionary War and the first president of the State Bank of North Carolina.
Created: January 20, 1855
Columbus 1855 – present
County Courthouse – Columbus
Location: 1 Courthouse Square / East Mills Street
Built: 1858 – 1859
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Ephraim Clayton
Contractor: George W Shackelton
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story red colored brick Italianate with structure. The building is a “T” shape with a northeast wing and has a portico on the southwest front supported by four large square white colored pillars rising to a pediment at the roof line. There is an extension on the east side. On the center of the roof is a square white base rising to a smaller square white colored cupola. The building was remodeled in the 1920’s and was remodeled from 1999 to 2008.
County Justice – Administration – Columbus
Location: 40 Courthouse Square / East Mills Street
Built: 1987 – 1988
Architect: Carter Watkins Associates Architects Inc. of Monroe, Georgia
Contractor: Sherman Construction Company Inc. of Greenville, South Carolina
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building has a recessed central entrance. The roof has a peak on the north and south sections. The roof line is flat. The building is names as the Bryant H Womack Justice and Administration Building.
W – Henderson County
Photos taken 2008