Greenville County is named for the green vegetation in the region, for Nathaniel Greene, who an American Revolutionary War hero, or for Isaac Green, who an early settler in the county.
Created: March 22, 1786
Greenville 1786 – present
County Courthouse – Greenville
Location: 305 East North Street / North Church Street
Built: 1949 – 1950
Style: Modern Greek Revival
Architect: The McPherson Company
Contractor: Daniel Construction
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building has a large portico supported by four large columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. Curved steps ascend on either side of the portico to the first story entrance. The doorway is trimmed with stone. On the center of roof is a small green colored cupola. An addition was added in 1958. On the west side is a red colored brick and concrete addition constructed in 1997. The concrete framed entrance has glass panels and extends to the street. The architect was Fluor Daniel.
Old County Courthouse – Greenville
Location: 130 South Main Street / West Court Street
Built: 1916 – 1918
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: P Thornton Marye and H. Olin Jones
Contractor: James A Jones
Description: The building faces east and is a three story stone, brick, terra cotta and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building has three recessed entrance on east side of the first story. A wide cornice runs above the first story with six columns rising to a header at the roof line. Another wide cornice runs below the flat roof line.
Photos taken 2008