Henderson County is named for Leonard Henderson, who was the Chief Justice of North Carolina and lived from 1772 to 1833.
Created: December 15, 1838
Hendersonville 1838 – present
County Courthouse – Hendersonville
Location: 200 North Grove Street / 2nd Avenue East
Built: 1994 – 1995
Style: Modern Classical and Greek Revival
Architect: Grier-Fripp Architects
Contractor: M B Kahn Construction
Description: The building faces west and is a two story gray coloredstone and concrete style structure. The building has a portico on the west front supported by six columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The building is reduces in width to the wide main section on the east.
Old County Courthouse – Hendersonville
Location: North Main Street / 2nd Avenue West
Built: 1904 – 1905
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Richard Sharp Smith
Contractor: W F Edwards
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff colored brick structure. The building has a large extended portico supported by six large columns rising to a large pediment. The entrance is recessed with a long balcony on the second story. A protruding cornice runs above the second story windows. On the center of the building is a round dome with the Statue of Justice at the top. The building was renovated in 2008 and will house the County Administration and County Museum.
N – Buncombe County
S – Greenville County, South Carolina
Photos taken 2008 and 2012