Macon County is named for Nathaniel Macon, who was a member and Speaker of the United State House of Representatives.
Franklin 1828 – present
County Courthouse – Franklin
Location: 5 West Main Street / Iotla Street
Built: 1971 – 1972
Architect: Kyle C Boone
Contractor: Bryant Construction Corporation
Description: The building faces east and is a three story red-brown colored brick and concrete structure. The east side has a central entrance with small white colored canopy. The southeast section forms a rectangular tower rising above the main building. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by William Gould Bulgin and constructed by John Davis in 1881. The building was demolished but the cupola was saved and stand in a downtown park.
N – Swain County
E – Jackson County
S – Rabun County, Georgia
Photos taken 2012