Clay County is named for Henry Clay, who was a statesman and orator who represented Kentucky in both the House of Representatives and Senate.
Created: February 20, 1861
Hayesville 1861 – present
Old County Courthouse – Hayesville
Location: Public Square / Sanderson Street & May Street
Built: 1888 – 1889
Architect: William Gould Bulgin
Contractor: Captain J S Anderson.
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story red colored brick structure. The southwest front has a square brick tower with arched entrance on the first story. On the second story is a vertical arched window and at the top is a white colored wood cupola with hipped roof. The windows are arched and the roof is hipped. The building sits on spacious landscaped grounds.
County Government Center – Hayesville
Location: Courthouse Drive / Highway 64
Built: 2006 – 2007
Architect: Pease Associates
Contractor: Wells & West Inc.
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The southeast front has a semi-circular section with vertical dividers between the windows. The north and south wings are one story. The roof line is flat.
E – Macon County
W – Cherokee County
Photos taken 2012