Graham County is named for William Alexander Graham, who was a United States Senator, Governor of North Carolina and United States Secretary of the Navy.
Created: January 30, 1872
Robbinsville 1872 – present
County Courthouse – Robbinsville
Location: 12 North Main Street / Court Street
Built: 1941 – 1942
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Barber and McMurry of Knoxville, Tennessee
Contractor: Works Project Administration
Description: The building faces west and is a two story flagstone structure. The building is a “T” shape and is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city.. The west front has a portico supported by four white colored pillars rising to a pediment at the roof line. The roof is hipped. The building was a Work Projects Administration project using local trades and labor. The construction supervisor was John L Taylor and the foreman was W T Moore of Andrews.
Note: The first courthouse was a wood frame structure built by John W Harwood in 1873 to 1874 at a cost of $1,075. The second courthouse was a two story wood structure constructed in 1894 to 1895. The building was demolished to make room for the present and third courthouse.
N – Swain County
S – Cherokee County
W – Monroe County, Tennessee
Photos taken 2012