Jackson County is named for Andrew Jackson, who was the 7th President of the United States from 1829 to 1837.
Created: January 29, 1851
Webster 1851 – 1913
Sylva 1913 – present
Old County Courthouse – Sylva
Location: 310 Keener Street / Ridgeway Street
Built: 1913 – 1914
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Rich S Smith & Albert H Carrier of Asheville
Contractor: C J Harris
Description: The building faces east and is a two story white colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on a hill overlooking the downtown. The east front has a large portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The second story has a balcony. On the center of the roof is an octagonal dome with clock and statue of Justice at the top. The building is now the public library.
County Justice Center – Sylva
Location: 401 Grindstaff Cove Road / Jackson Plaza Road
Built: 1994 – 1995
Architect: Foy, Lee, Moody & Associates
Contractor: L P Cox Construction of Sanford Inc.
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story buff-brown colored brick and concrete structure. A narrow horizontal white band runs along the top of the first story. On the northeast and southeast are entrances flanked by stone pillars. The roof line is flat.
Photos taken 2012