Pitt County is named for William Pitt, who was the 1st Earl of Chatham, Secretary of State during the French and Indian Wars and was later the Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Greenville 1761 – present
County Courthouse – Greenville
Location: 100 West 3rd Street / Evans Street
Built: 1910 – 1911
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Milburn, Hester & Company
Contractor: Central Carolina Construction Company of Greensboro
Description: The building faces south and is a three story buff colored brick structure. The rectangular building rests on an ashlar base. The south front has a large portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a square cupola with clock and dome at the top. The roof is hipped. A large addition was built on the east and north sides in 1965 and in 1999.
Note: The preceding 1858 courthouse designed by Edmund George E Lund was destroyed by fire on February 10, 1910.
See: The architect Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington, DC.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Greenville commercial Historic District
E – Beaufort County
S – Craven County
Photos taken 2012