Wayne County

US States / N / North Carolina / Wayne County
Wayne

Wayne County is named for Anthony Wayne, who was a general in the American Revolutionary War, and who lived from 1745 to 1796.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Wilson County

E – Greene County and Lenoir County

S – Duplin County and Sampson County

W – Johnston County

 

Created:  November 2, 1779                  Map of North Carolina highlighting Wayne County

County Seat: 

Goldsboro  1779 – present

 

County Courthouse – Goldsboro 

 

Location:  204 East Walnut Street / South William Street

Built:  1912 – 1913

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Milburn, Hester & Company of Washington, D C

Contractor:  W P Rose and J N Kennedy

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Goldsboro. The east, north and west fronts have large porticos with four columns rising to pediments at the roof line. A wide cornice follows the flat roof line. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building houses the County Superior Court and County District Court of the 8th Judicial District. The building is connected by a large glass atrium to the Court Annex on the south side. The building was restored in 1999. The architect was Partin & Hobbs Architect and the contractor was Ross – Markham Inc.

 

Note:  The courthouse is similar in design to the courthouse in Hoke County.

 

See:  The architect Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington, DC.

 

County Courthouse Annex – Goldsboro 

 

1252nc12

 

Location:  204 East Walnut Street / South William Street

Built:  1952 – 1954

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Allen J Maxwell and Frank F Clarke

Contractor:  R N Rouse & Company

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a four story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on the south side of the courthouse in the center of Goldsboro. On the north side is a large glass atrium which connects the building to the courthouse. The main building extends west and on the northwest corner above the roof line is a rectangular section with clock. Along the west front are vertical pilasters between the windows. The roof is sloped. The building was renovated in 1992 to 1994. The architect was R S & H Architects and the contractor was T A Loving Company.

 

See:  The 8th Judicial District includes Lenoir County and Wayne County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1779 and Goldsboro was selected as the county seat. The first courts were held in private homes from 1779 to 1782. The first courthouse was built in Goldsboro in 1782. The second courthouse was a brick structure built in 1850. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1912 to 1914. The courthouse annex was constructed in 1952 to 1954.

 

 

1248nc12

County Courthouse – Goldsboro

 

 

1250nc12

 

 

1251nc12

 

 

1258nc12

 

 

1261nc12

 

 

1253nc12

County Courthouse Annex – Goldsboro

 

 

1254nc12

 

 

1255nc12

 

 

1262nc12

 

 

1259nc12

Photos taken 2012