Jackson County is named for Andrew Jackson, who was the 7th President of the United States from 1829 to 1837.
Created: December 15, 1826
Independence 1827 – present
County Courthouse – Kansas City
Location: 415 East 12th Street / Oak Street
Built: 1933 – 1934
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Wight and Wight of Kansas City, Keene and Simpson, Edward F Neild of Shreveport, Louisiana and Frederick C Gunn
Contractor: Swenson Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a twenty-eight story cream colored limestone and glass structure. The base of the building is five stories with the east and west sections extending from the main building. Above rises a central tower for ten stories with another five stories at the top. The entrance is recessed and there is decorative work on the stone.
Note: The first courthouse was an unfinished five-story hotel at Second and Main purchased for $20,000. The building was completed in 1872 at a cost of $90,000 and the architect was A B Cross and the contractor was W B Everhart was contractor. A tornado seriously damaged the building in 1886. The next courthouse was designed by Leo Canman ( or Canmann ) and was constructed in 1892 at a cost of $500,000. The present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $2,145,000.
County Courthouse – Independence
Location: 308 Lexington Street / Main Street
Built: 1836– 1837
Architect: Henry Chiles
Contractor: Daniel King.
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick and stone structure. The south and north sides have large porticoes with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The east and west wings are lower in height. On the center of the roof is a high square white colored clock tower with open cupola at the top. The cupola was added in 1846. In 1852, the building was enlarged and completed in 1853. The architect was Jacob C Hovey and John McCoy and the contractor was Leonard and Stewart. In 1872, a new east wing with tall clock tower was added and the exterior was covered with red brick. In 1887, a west annex was added. In 1905, major renovations commenced and were completed in 1907. The architect was William E Brown and the contractor was Chris Yetter. In 1932, the last major remodeling was commenced and completed in 1933. The architect was David Frederick Wallace of Keene and Simpson of Kansas City and the contractor was Weeks Construction Company.
Note: The first courthouse was built by Daniel P Lewis under the supervision of Lilburn W Boggs in 1828 as a temporary courthouse at a cost of $150. The second courthouse was designed by Lilburn W Boggs and was built by James King in 1828 to 1831 at a cost of $1,900. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $5,000.
S – Cass County
Photos taken 2009