Cass County is named for Lewis Cass, who explored the upper Mississippi River to Cass Lake in 1820, was governor of the Michigan Territory in 1813 to 1831, was United States Secretary of War from 1831 to 1836, was a United States Senator from Michigan from 1845 to 1857 and was United States Secretary of State from 1857 to 1860.
Created: March 3, 1835
Harrisonville 1835 – present
County Courthouse – Harrisonville
Location: 102 East Wall Street / North Independence Street
Built: 1897 – 1898
Architect: W C Root of Kansas City
Contractor: Thomas Wilson
Description: The building faces south and is a three story yellow colored brick and stone structure. The building is 93 feet by 78 feet. The south front has a porch on the first story with balconies on the second and third stories. On the southwest is a high square brick clock tower rising seven stories. On the southeast side is a shorter tower rising four stories.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1838 under the supervision of John Cook. The second courthouse was built in 1843 by Henry Baker, John Fife and George Rice under the supervision of Charles Sims for a cost of $3,000. The cost of the construction of the present courthouse was $45,000.
County Justice Center – Harrisonville
Location: 2501 West Wall Street / East 255th Street
Built: 2001 – 2003
Architect: ACI/ Boland Inc.
Contractor: J E Dunn Construction of Kansas City
Description: The building faces south and is a four story brick, concrete and glass structure. The exterior is precast with brick. The interior has terrazzo and granite stonework.
N – Jackson County
S – Bates County
Photos taken 2009