Clay County is named for Henry Clay, who was from Kentucky and who was a United States Representative, a United States Senator and Secretary of State.
Created: January 2, 1822
Liberty 1822 – present
County Courthouse – Liberty
Location: 101 East Kansas Street / North Water Street
Built: 1935 – 1936
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Thomas Wight and Edward Drewin Wight of Kansas City
Contractor: Bliss and Duncan of Kansas City
Description: The building faces south and is a two story white colored limestone structure. The building is 117 feet by 87 feet. The south front has a five vertical window insets with panels between the windows, and above is decorative work with clock above. The east and west wings project. The roof line is flat. The building was a Public Works Administration. An annex was built in the 1970’s.
Note: The first courthouse was built by Joseph Bright in 1831 to 1833 at a cost of $1,770. The building was destroyed by fire on March 27, 1857. The second courthouse was designed by Peter McDuff and built by Crump and Thompson in 1859 at a cost of $35,000. The present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $263,410.
N – Clinton County
E – Ray County
S – Jackson County
Photos taken 2009