Johnson County is named for Thomas Johnson, who established a mission to the Shawnee Indians in 1829 and who was a clergyman.
Created: August 25, 1855
Olathe 1855 – present
County Courthouse – Olathe
Location: 100 North Kansas Avenue / West Santa Fe Street
Built: 1951 – 1952
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Glover & Newcombe
Contractor: Chamber & Tarbell
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red-orange colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The south front has stone work around the entrances. The east and west wings extend from the main building and rise two stories. Behind the south entrance section, the building rises to three stories. A second addition was added in 1954 and again in 1968. An eight story tower was added on the north side of the building in 1972 and the addition was completed in 1976.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by George P Washburn and constructed by J S Beverfordon in 1891. The building was demolished but the cornerstone stands in front of the present courthouse.
County Administration – Olathe
Location: 111 South Cherry Street / West Park Street
Built: 1991 – 1992
Architect: Peckham, Guyton, Albers and Viets Incorporated
Description: The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The north front has a recessed entrance section with a large wing extending north on the east side and a smaller wing on the west side. To the east of the entrance section rises a high square brick clock tower.
S – Miami County
W – Douglas County
Photos taken 2009