Wyandotte County is named for the Native American tribe Wyandotte who resided in the region.
Created: August 25, 1855
Kansas City 1859 – present
County Courthouse – Kansas City
Location: 700 North 7th Street / Barnett Avenue
Built: 1926 – 1927
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Wight & Wight of Kansas City, Missouri
Contractor: Gofrey Swensen Construction Company, of Kansas City, Missouri
Description: The building faces east and is a four story gray limestone structure. The building is constructed of dressed Indiana limestone laid in running bond. The east front has a large porch supported by six large Doric columns rising to a wide header. The entrance is recessed. A cornice runs along the flat roof line.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1882 by E T Carr. The building was demolished. The present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $912,019.50.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Wyandotte County Courthouse
County Administration – Kansas City
Location: 866 North 7th Street / Barnett Avenue
Built: 1958 – 1959
Architect: Radotinsky, Meyn and Deardoff
Description: The building faces west and is a four story red brick, glass and concrete structure.
S – Johnson County
Photos taken 2009